Monday, June 30, 2014

Being Frugal

Hi Friends ~ The hubs and I spent the whole weekend working on the flooring in the house and have finally made it out of the bedrooms and into the living room, THANK GOODNESS!!  I promise I will post some pics soon of the progress of that, but I wanted to pop in quickly and show you something that I had been wanting to try.
You see, the house came with all those construction grade light fixtures.  The ones we have all seen a million times....shiny gold and not so much my favorite.  I thought immediately about just pulling everything out and getting all new.  I'm drawn to all the exposed Edison bulbs and the industrial look and getting new would make life much easier, except I started adding up all the costs of the light fixtures and wow, I could easily spend over a thousand dollars replacing everything!!
I saw this spray paint by Rust-Oleum called Forged Hammered Burnished Amber and thought, well why not try using what I already have.  The only thing I had to lose was the $7 something I paid for the spray paint.  Can I just make the light fixtures that are there look industrial and add those cool Edison Bulbs to them???

Here is the result.  I'm going to keep it until I move everything in and see how it looks with my furnishings.  I'm also going to paint the shiny gold ceiling fans and I'll let you see how that goes.

AND......It works great on shiny gold door knobs too!!  I'm so excited (and a little addicted) about this spray paint!






13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh; that looks so cool! Love how it turned out.

Unknown said...

Love the look and you're saving a fortune!

Unknown said...

Oh Jill!!!! Perfect transformation!!! I used the same color on my parents brass ceiling fans in their sunroom. There was nothing mechanically wrong with them, they just needed a color update. Good idea with the light bulbs! It looks wonderful!!

Jillian Haupt said...

Thank you everyone! It's starting to grow on me. Kim, I'm so glad it worked on your parents ceiling fan!! That's what I'm planning on doing next

Sarah Jane Fisher said...

Love it Jill! I've been wanting to do this with our ugly gold ceiling fans, but was too scared. Will def try it now.

Kelli said...

I love this! I do have a question on the spray paint on the door knobs. .. how does it hold up? Does it scratch easy??

Jillian Haupt said...

Hi Kelli ~
This is the first time I have ever tried spray paint on door knobs. It's been about a month and they still look great. I'll let you know in a few more months how they hold up!!

Bernice Parsons said...

Those shiny gold coated light holders and doorknobs can be quite annoying. They tend to stand out too much, so it's hard to match with the rest of the room sometimes. Which is why changing them was a really good decision, or in your case, painting the shiny away! Haha! I love the color you decided to replace it with – it’s authentic and never seem to go out of style. Great job!


Bernice Parsons @ BadgeranodisingUK

Anonymous said...

Did you remove the fixture to spray paint it? Can you describe the technique you use?

Unknown said...

How did you prep the light fixtures and door knobs for the spray paint. I'm very interested, because we have the same gold fixtures in our house. Thanks, Jamie

Lori said...

Will you sell it??? I want it for my church youth room. Which is in need of updates!

Lori said...

Will you sell it??? I want it for my church youth room. Which is in need of updates!

Anonymous said...

Did you cover the ceiling somehow when sprayed ?